Wednesday, April 01, 2020

So Close

Well my attempt at 7000 steps per day for March failed, but I have a good excuse! Around the middle of March the world was put on lockdown, yes the entire world, or near enough.
In the UK we were told to limit all journeys to essential only. That meant certain workers, trips to the chemist for prescriptions, essential shopping and one trip out for exercise.
Yes that last caveat should have allowed me to keep up my daily step count but it's not as simple as that. There's still an element of guilt with going outside, a feeling that you're not "isolating" properly. With each day of this situation I feel this less and less but certainly in the first few days of isolation I just didn't feel right leaving the house.
Needless to say I'm not attempting 10,000 steps a day in April, or any other month soon.
I look forward to reading this back in ten to fifteen years time, that time when a virus had the world on lockdown.
I'm extremely lucky to be home with loved ones, have plenty of space and a job that I can do from home. In fact, before this situation started I was already working two or three days a week from home so that aspect of daily life hasn't really changed.
I'm still wearing the step counter and still weighing myself every day.
Interestingly, since isolation started I've actually dropped the final few pounds to reach my arbitrary weight goal of 13st (182lbs). There's a few things I can put this down to; first I don't have access to a vending machine as I do in the office. Those two/three bars of chocolate per day, while not adding to my weight greatly, certainly kept it around the mid to high 13st range. Second, for lunches I'm eating homemade meals. Processed sandwiches, pies or even the odd trip to Subway are my regular lunch when I'm in the office. The combination of fast food and snacking for sure has kept my weight higher.
Perhaps I need to give myself a new challenge. I certainly believe I don't drink enough. Since the Garmin fitness tracker allows for recording water intake perhaps this is what I should record next?   

No comments: