Sunday, January 11, 2009

The Epic Journies

I'm not much of a long distance driver, never the less, I thought I'd do a quick run down on some of the long drives that I'd made.



Camdenton, MO to Bernice OK. 201 Miles.

Last year, a very spur of the moment thing, we drove down to a friends house one a lake in Bernice Oklahoma. I did not know when setting off that we were going to be driving for quite so long. This was mainly a night drive. Thankfully we had two way radios between our car and the one I was following. OK it was pretty much two roads only to get there but I had no idea where we were going.



Bracknell, Berkshire to New Mills Derbyshire 201 Miles.

This was the shortest route according to Google. I don't think I've actually taken the direct, shortest route. The few times that I've driven up to dads place I've mapped a slightly more interesting route.



Ft Myers, FL to Orlando FL 204 Miles.

Really don't remember the journey. This was back in 1995 when my brother and I spent two weeks in Florida. One week we spent on the beautiful gulf coast, white sandy beaches, trips to the Everglades, the second week we spent in and around Orlando, Disney, Cape Kennedy.



Andalusia, IL to Rockwell City, IA - 262 Miles

This was the last time that I ever met Gary, my step kids birth father (why doesn't that sound right?). Although this isn't THE longest drive and it's only another hour longer than the first three, it seemed to go on and on and on. For anyone that's ever driven across Iowa you'll know what I mean. One straight road, corns and pig sheds, for hours. Gary at the time was in prison in Rockwell City. There was nothing else in Rockwell City. We drove out there, spent the night in a motel, visited Gary, spent the next night in the hotel, visited Gary again then that afternoon drove the long and boring drive back. "I spy with my little eye, something beginning with 'C'."



Andalusia, IL to Camdenton MO - 335 Miles

Again 2008, on this particular visit I covered a lot of miles. Drove from my father-in-laws house to where Barbara is living in a rental car. GPS got me most of the way there then decided to take me "off road" for the last fifteen miles, glad it did though. The "Swinging Bridges" which the GPS route took us across turned out to be a really nice picnic spot that we later went back to and played in the river.



Anaheim, CA to San Francisco, CA - 465 Miles

Another two center holiday, one week in LA, one in SF. The idea was that I was going to drive half the long trip from LA to SF and Mandy, the girl that I'd gone on holiday with, would drive the rest. It just so happened that she hated driving in the US and spent a total of half an hour behind the wheel of the car for the entire holiday! The journey was fantastic. Rather than taking the most direct route, via the interstate, we drove up route 101. This was our first time in the US and rather foolishly, instead of getting the return flight from SF we had to drive back to LA to get home. The drive back we did take interstate 5, yaaaaaawn.



Now the above journeys were all with me driving. The longest road trip I have been on though was not with me behind the wheel.



Welling, Kent to Bern, Switzerland - 627 Miles

I think it was Bern that we went to, I'm sure that C2it will correct me. This was a family holiday in a massive, American mobile home. Before the Eurotunnel so it was a trip on the ferry to get from England to France. Again, I don't remember much of the journey but to be honest, Michael and I were probably in the back near oblivious to the fact that this mobile home was even on the move!



So, what road trips have you done?

Mobile post sent by Daz71 using Utterlireply-count Replies.

No comments: