Saturday, January 03, 2009

I've Got Mail

After a lot of trawling around the Internets I finally found the correct device driver for my BlueTooth USB thingy.



The other week I found a setting on my phone that allowed me to connect to my computer via Bluetooth to access the Internets. Having either Ubuntu or Windows share the Internet connection with the Bluetooth network proved difficult.



There seems to be an issue with the latest version of Ubuntu which requires you to downgrade certain drivers to get the system to work.



With Windows the Microsoft supplied BT stack does not support network sharing.



When I put my foot down and decided I was going to get this to work, (dammit) I went into the Internet settings for the phone and... the BT option had gone!



I spent a couple of hours looking around the Internets for instructions on how to get the menu option back. From many of the posts that I'd read, what I'd seen did not exist!!!! The problem with the Internet is that, while "The Truth Is Out There" it's hidden among a lot of rubbish.



I eventually found that it's the process of installing the correct driver and then pairing the computer and the phone that generates the BT network account on the phone.



There's confusion across several posts as to whether you "share" the network connection on your computer which connects to the Internet or whether you "share" the Bluetooth network connection. I think this stems from the fundamental confusion that there appears to be over what the goal actually is! Many posts on this subject start out talking about using the broadband connection that the computer has to browse the web on the phone and then mix this with using the phone as a modem for the computer to access the Internet, NOT what I want!



Eventually, what I've done, taking suggestions from various different places on the Interwebs:



1) Changed the IP address range for my home network. It appears that the BlueTooth network always uses the 192.168.x.x range and having two networks using the same rage, with a bridge between the two, gets confusing and often causes problems.



2) Install the Broadcom drivers for my BT Dongle. Finding these was a pain, then finding how to stop Microsoft from using it's own drivers despite me specifically telling the system to install the Broadcom ones.



3) Delete all data accounts on the mobile phone. I did not want this system to accidentally work the wrong way round and start using my phone as a modem. I have no intention of using anything other than my Bluetooth connection for data. This is also a safety precaution. It would be possible for a virus to connect to the Internet via my mobile phone if I set it up as a modem.



4) Share the services of the network card connected to the DSL hub, not the services of the Bluetooth network adapter.



5) Set up the "Home Bluetooth" account on the phone and point the web browser and email clients to use it.



And it works!!!!



I have one small problem with is that, while I'm able to read my Gmail using the built in POP3 client it doesn't want to send SMTP mail. Unfortunately the error message is somewhat vague "Send Failed". Changing the settings I'm able to get other, more helpful error messages but these normally reflect what I've changed and are the kind of error I would have expected.



So, still a little more work to do.



Now, to get the Ubuntu network sharing to work. I've GOT to be able to use either :)

Mobile post sent by Daz71 using Utterlireply-count Replies.

No comments: