Sunday, February 15, 2009

6.4 Mile Ride And Amateur Mechanics

When working yesterday one of the regular customers to the garage came in for a gas can full of fuel (Notice I'm making the transition from UK to US English). Her daughters car had run out of fuel. A few hours later she came in for groceries, apparently the car wouldn't start even with fuel so they'd got it towed back. I said I'd have a look at it on today.

I was up at about 9am this morning which, for me, on a Sunday, my only full day off, is unusual but the draw of cycling and mapping has me in it's grasp. As the alarm went off at 7am I was already thinking about which area I was going to map out today.

After a short (1hr) phone call with dad I headed out for my cycle ride.

http://tinyurl.com/ar4trb

While out I stopped to talk to some of the people that I know from the garage, they were out cleaning their cars.

When heading back I got a call from the lady with the car trouble and headed over.

Taking off the air filter I could smell fuel, trying the HT lead against bare metal I got a spark. I took out and checked the plugs, all seemed to be OK. The car had not been serviced since 2001, no oil change, no checks nothing. As I took off the cover for the cam belt the belt fell out. That was pretty much where my amateur mechanics ended. Thankfully I was just able to put everything back together (sans cam belt) before it started to rain.

Now I'm going to convert that GPS data into mapping for OpenStreetMap.org.

Mobile post sent by Daz71 using Utterlireply-count Replies.

No comments: