Sunday, February 01, 2009

A Re-Install Of Ubuntu, Banshee Stuff

The hard drive failure made it unreliable to boot from but it still limps along well enough for me to recover files off of the broken drive.

Even though I have been storing music and video files on a healthy disk I hadn't thought about the configuration files.

I've set up 22 Podcasts in Banshee and am now in the habit of transfering a few at a time to my mobile phone then deleting the files once I've listened to them.

I did not want to have to add each of the podcast feeds one at a time back to the new install. With a little help from Dave (@thelovebug) I've been able to find the original Banshee data files.

1) Do not do anything with your new install of Banshee, if you already have then these steps will over-write what you've done, this includes podcast subscriptions, adding music to your Banshee music library.

2) In your home directory is the hidden .config directory. The point in front of config is what hides the directory.

3) In the .config directory is a directory called banshee-1, delete banshee-1. Originally I just renamed the directory, a precaution I would normally take should it all go wrong but in doing this Banshee still held on to the old directory even though it's name had changed.

4) Copy the banshee-1 directory from the .config file in your home directory on the old hard drive to your new home directory.

5) Start Banshee.

All the podcast subscriptions are back and it even remembers which of the files you've listened to and which you've marked "old".

Hope this helps.

Mobile post sent by Daz71 using Utterlireply-count Replies.

No comments: